Holy Trinity, Seaton Carew July 2014

22nd July 2014

There is a church in there somewhere!


Works are underway to Holy Trinity, Seaton Carew where we are replacing stonework and repairing the roof.


The church was built in 1831 to the design of Thomas Pickersgill of York. It is a ‘Church Commissioners Church’ built on a budget with simple details. But that doesn’t do the church justice. It has wonderful stained glass and interior fittings. Even Thompson of Kilburn (Mouseman) furnishings. One of its decorative delights is it nave ceiling and chandeliers. The roof structure replacement in the ‘60’s replaced the open roof and it really benefitted the inside space which is now light and colourful.


 The chancel and west gallery was built in 1842 by George Jackson of Durham with alterations in 1891.  It is constructed of coursed stone beneath a slated roof to a simple rectangular plan of nave, chancel and sanctuary.  It contains a vestry and organ chamber on the north.  A gallery on the west end above the nave.  A square tower at the west end with obelisk pinnacles and thin angle buttresses. A circular stair to the gallery projects beyond the tower beneath a stone roof.


The external walling, mostly to all nave and tower walls and east chancel gable is severely eroded. Replacement walling and mouldings will be installed along with a complete repoint in lime mortar to replace the cement.  The internal roof space stone gables are severely eroded and they will be rebuilt and the water tables stabilised.


We hope to renew the clock too, when we find it!



Back to news