Seaton Holme, Easington Village

Seaton Holme was built for Prince Bishop Farnham in 1248 and is Listed grade 1. The central section was originally a Hall House and is traditionally constructed with stone walls and slated roof.

The walls have seen many patch repairs in the past, some utilising brickwork. It is clear that the building has been remodelled many times in its history. A condition survey revealed poor parapet construction in brickwork and, behind it, a badly formed asphalt gutter.

As the works were uncovered, defective roof timbers were revealed which were repaired using carbon fibre techniques. The walls have been rebuilt in stonework and were re-limewashed. The gutter has been reformed in leadwork with chalk emulsion on the underside to limit corrosion.

The refurbishment of Seaton Holme's frontage to Hall Walks has much improved the townscape appearance and further complements the approach to Easington Village.

http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=D6782

 

This project was undertaken at our former practice and is reproduced with the permission of the estate of Anthony Burns. ©Burns Architects 2011

Return to Projects