Sunderland Minster

After an absence of three years the bells at Sunderland Minster are ringing again.

The existing peal of eight on wooden frames has been replaced with ten bells in two stages on steel frames. BBA were the project architects for the scheme that also saw the restoration of the clock faces with new movements. The works also enabled us to undertake repairs to the tower, its stonework and roof.

The original six bells were cast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in 1809. In 1894 two more were added and in 1932 they were all recast for the major alterations, designed by WD Caroe, who rebuilt the tower, nave and extended The Minster with north and south aisles.

The new works saw the addition of two commissioned treble bells also cast at Whitechapel. The whole assembly now weights ten and a half tons.

David Beaumont RIBA AABC is the church inspector and produced the quinquennial report for the Grade 2* church.

You can hear the bells in action at the following link, unfortunately after the adverts: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/sunderland-minster-marks-a-diamond-double-video-1-4677342

Return to Projects