Mariners' Almshouses, North Tyneside

Designed by renowned local architects, J and B Green in the early 1800’s, the Master Mariners’ Homes in Tynemouth, North Tyneside is a Grade 2 listed almshouse and currently provides 30 self contained flats for former seafarers and their families.

The building  land was donated by the then Duke of Northumberland, whose statue, which is also grade 2 listed, graces the main approach to the homes.

Originally built for the Tyne Mariners’ Benevolent Institution in 1837 in the Jacobean style, the construction is of coursed sandstone walling and welsh slate roofs with notable conjoined octagonal chimneys and a grand central tower.

 

This project was undertaken at our former practice and is reproduced with the permission of the estate of Anthony Burns. ©Burns Architects 2011

Return to Projects