Almshouses, Kirby Hill, N Yorks

This project involved extensive alterations and upgrading of a listed almshouse and was officially opened by The Rt Hon William Hague MP.

Bathrooms, toilets and kitchens had been added in 1954, replacing common sinks and outside toilets. These facilities, in turn, had become outdated and there were deficiencies such as communal staircases, poor internal plan arrangements, heating and insulation.

The Listed stone building, with stone slab roof, occupies a commanding position on the Village Green. It was decided to carry out a complete overhaul of the accommodation, internal plans, layouts and structure, constrained by the Listed status.

Six two-person flats exploit the sunny south elevation with glazed porches at ground floor level, whilst the living rooms on the front elevation overlook The Green.

A common room was provided within the stone outbuildings for communal use. 

The project received the National Almshouse Association’s Patron’s Award from HRH Prince Charles.

http://www.almshouses.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=136&Itemid=56

 

This project was undertaken at our former practice and is reproduced with the permission of the estate of Anthony Burns. ©Burns Architects 2011

Return to Projects